Shortly after the heart-wrenching Star Wars Rebels season two finale “Twilight of the Apprentice” was aired, Nerdist.Com broke the news that Ahsoka Tano would be getting her very own young adult novel, one that would explore how the former Padawan went on to become a key figure within the fledgling Rebel Alliance.
Update: The novel is now out! Read our review of Star Wars: Ahsoka to see what we thought of it.
So what do we know about the novel so far?
- Canadian author E.K Johnston is writing the novel. Johnston is a huge Star Wars fan and is best known for her young adult novels, A Thousand Nights and Exit, Pursued By A Bear.
- The novel will be released on October 11, 2016, and will be available in hardcover and Kindle format; it will probably be available in paperback in late 2016/early 2017.
- It’s unlikely that the novel will span the entire 15 years or so between the end of Clone Wars and Ahsoka’s first appearance on Star Wars Rebels, though such a lengthy time span can’t be ruled out entirely (just look at Claudia Gray’s Lost Stars).
- Judging from the synopsis on Amazon, the key events of the novel take place after the devastation of Order 66 and during the early years of the Galactic Empire.
- We will see the return of and/or references to several prequel-era and original trilogy characters, including Bail Organa and Mon Mothma (the founders of the Rebel Alliance).
- According to Jennifer Heddle, Senior Editor at Lucasfilm and LucasBooks, the first excerpts may be published in time for Star Wars Celebration Europe or San Diego Comic Con (though this is subject to change).
- Heddle also clarified that Ahsoka will be an entirely new story and is not being adapted from unfinished Clone Wars episodes, though there’s always a chance that some unused Clone Wars story concepts may be make their way into the novel.
- Update June 15, 2016 – A photo of the uncorrected advance proof copy of the novel was posted on Twitter by Disney Publishing Publicity Manager Mary Ann Zissimos on June 15, 2016. Please note the cover is not the final cover.
- Update July 20, 2016 – The final cover art was revealed during the Ahsoka’s Untold Tales panel at Star Wars Celebration Europe. Check out this article for more information.
- Update July 27, 2016 – This list will no longer be updated. All future announcements, excerpts, and other Ahsoka novel-related news will be published as individual articles with spoiler warnings where applicable.
All of the information above was correct at the time of publication (June 4, 2016) and this article will be updated as new details emerge. A very special thanks goes out to @SappDoyle for sharing his findings (and tweets) with Team Ahsoka.
- Review: ‘Star Wars: Ahsoka’ by E.K. Johnston
- ‘Star Wars: Ahsoka’ Cover Revealed at Star Wars Celebration Europe
- Ahsoka Tano Novel Coming in October 2016