If you’ve been following Team Ahsoka on social media for some time or are a frequent visitor to this site, you may remember that I promoted a Kickstarter campaign back in June for the upcoming documentary, Looking for Leia.
Thanks to widespread support and donations from Star Wars fans worldwide, the Kickstarter campaign was a huge success and production is well under way. Dr. Annalise Ophelian and her team have spent the past few months travelling around the US to interview podcasters, droid builders, cosplayers, and other fan community members.
Ophelian’s team pored through hours of footage and put together an 11-minute preview reel just in time for New York Comic Con. The preview reel, which can be found on Vimeo, features interviews with a motley crew of female Star Wars fans, including a few people I’ve come to know via Twitter.
One of these talented ladies the costumier and “part-time Space General”, Xena D, with whom I’ve spent countless hours discussing the merits of #HotKallus and bemoaning the dearth of Hera Syndulla merchandise.
The Team Ahsoka header makes a brief appearance about 6 minutes into the video. And may I just say, it’s truly an honour to be listed there alongside podcasters, cosplayers, and bloggers whose work and enthusiasm for that far, far away galaxy continue to inspire me every day.
It’s not yet clear when the final documentary will be available but, if this preview reel is anything to go by, we’re all in for an emotional ride.
What is ‘Looking for Leia’?
Looking for Leia is a feature film documentary that will explore how women have helped shape and expand the Star Wars universe over the franchise’s forty-year history, and will look at the various challenges these dedicated fangirls have faced along the way.
Filmmaker Annalise Ophelian and her team will be interviewing an inter-generational and culturally diverse group of female Star Wars fans, including cosplayers, artists, authors, film buffs, cultural critics, and women working in STEM fields. Every fan has their story about how they’ve experienced and interacted with the Star Wars fandom, and Ophelian’s documentary will give some of them the chance to share their personal stories with the rest of us.
You can learn more about this exciting initiative over on the Looking for Leia website.
How Can I Support ‘Looking For Leia’?
Curious to know how you can support this incredible project? Here are some of the ways you can help!
- Get involved – Looking for Leia is looking for potential interviewees and people to help produce and/or promote the film. If you’d like to get involved, please get in touch. And keep an eye on Looking for Leia’s Twitter account to find out when the production team are in town!
- Write about it – If you run your own blog/website or work for the media, consider writing an article or two about this project and/or preview reel to spread the word about this amazing initiative.
- Share the love on social media – Are you on Twitter, Facebook, or any other form of social media? Then why not take the opportunity to make Looking for Leia go viral by sharing links to project website or the preview reel? And, while you’re at it, don’t forget to follow Looking for Leia on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- ‘Looking For Leia’ Documentary Will Turn the Spotlight on Female Star Wars Fans
- Dave Filoni Talks About the Women of Star Wars